I got asked a question the other day and wanted to answer it here on my blog. Thank you CJ for the question and permission to answer it here in a blog post.
I am trying to build a home based business but seem to be getting nowhere. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get ahead. Everyone says the economy is too bad and no one is spending money right now. Do you think that’s what the problem is? If so, what can I do about it?
CJ, In order to help you, I need a little more information. I don’t think the economy is THAT bad. People are spending money on things they WANT. There are a lot of businesses thriving right now. Please answer the following questions for me.
1. What steps are you taking on a daily basis to build your business?
2. How many hours per day do you spend on your business?
3. Is this business your only source of income or do you have a J.O.B. as well?
4. What is your goal with your business? Specifically, how much money do you want to be making a year from now and what do you have to do to achieve that?
1. I am online most of the day talking to people.
2. I spend 5 to 6 hours per day while my kids are in school on my business.
3. I do not have a J.O.B. My husband works and I am a stay at home mom to 2 school age children. I am hoping to bring extra income into the house so we can give our children a better life.
4. In a year I would like to be making $10,ooo per month. In order to do that, between everyone I talk to and everyone they talk to and so on, I need to help 400 people become regular users of my products.
What steps EXACTLY are you taking during that 5 to 6 hours online per day? I see that your facebook wall has a lot of Farmville and Frontierville posts. It is very easy for us to fool ourselves into thinking we are being productive when we are really doing a lot of non-productive things.
You have the perfect situation. You have time while the kids are in school to be working on a business. You say that you talk to people online. I’m curious how you are doing that. I took a look at your public profiles on a couple social spaces and see no reference to the fact that you work from home. Let’s start with that. Public online profiles should always reflect the fact that you are working your own business.
In order for you to build this group of 400 people, you probably need to personally bring in at least 50 people over the next year. Some will just be users of the products and some will want to do this as a business. That means you need to find about 4 people per month to become regular users of your products. In order for you to find these 4 people per month, you will probably need to actually present your products and business to around 20 people per month. That’s less than one person per day. If you make a goal of presenting your products and/or business to just ONE person per day, Monday through Friday, that’s 20 people per month.
I recommend spending 2 hours of FOCUSED time each day doing activities that will cause people to ask you about your business. I taught a class recently that shows you exactly how to market online and cause people to come to you and ask “What do you do?”. This is when you show them your business. Check out the deeply discounted investment on my Social Networking Group Coaching Program. This will help you to use the social spaces to actually market your business instead of playing games wondering what you should be doing.
Now…what is holding YOU back?
I’m not going to go any further into the email correspondence with CJ. I think you get the picture. Many of us waste a lot of time each day. We sit and wonder what to do and end up doing things like playing games or watching videos or just surfing the net. Why not invest a few hours into learning the PROPER way to talk to people online so you can use your time more effectively?
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. What will you do with it?